Monday, November 22, 2010

OP!nion: Nerf me hard, Nerf me fast.

OP!nion was just going to be the title for this post, but I think I like it and will keep it for all my obnoxious opinion posts.

Today I wonder about why people like being overpowered. I hate it. It worries me when my characters are overpowered. It's a big storm cloud looming overhead threatening of sleet and lightening.



The way underpowered characters are leveled out seems to usually be a lot nicer than the way overpowered characters are. Never-mind that being buffed always feels better than being nerfed. Nerfs just seem to affect my game more.

That is to say that when my Warlock's dps was low, I had my way to dps. When I got buffed I did the same thing and did more damage. I didn't feel different, I didn't have to play differently, I just did what I did and did more damage.

Now when I've been nerfed it's a whole other story. I've lost entire moves to the nerf bat, and that, my friends, affects play-style in a whole other manner. It feels terrible to lose something, especially if you have to alter how you play. What if it makes your character feel less cool? What if it takes you on a trip that eventually kills what you loved about the class?

Anyways, one of my characters feels overpowered in one spec. I'm not excited. I'm not happy, and I don't beat on others then tell them to learn to play and that I'm balanced. I wont say what class it is, because I don't want the replies that it's fine. I'm utterly destroying people.

Instead I'm afraid because they changed a lot already, and I'm going to level my other characters to 85 in Cataclysm first and see if they're more balanced at 85 or how they get balanced, rather than level them and then be nerfed in a way that makes me dislike the character.

So why do people like being over powered? Why do they level another toon on the class they think is newly overpowered? You're gonna get nerfed, you're going to cry, and you're going to have to start over or completely re-learn how to play the class. How annoying.

No comments:

Post a Comment